General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 07:41:15
Print Post

Providers don't appear to know I have FTTH

[link to this post]

Hi, we have had 300Mb FTTH for 18months, installed by Gigaclear. Our contract is coming to and end and I want to compare prices. Every where I've checked BT/Sky/JL etc tells me i can only get ADSL. I'm assuming a database somewhere hasn't been updated. In the first instance I would like to contact Gigaclear, but it would be useful to know what they haven't done and request they do it properly. Assuming there isn't a better way to go about this?
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 08:09:12
Print Post

Re: Providers don't appear to know I have FTTH

[re: APH999] [link to this post]

Gigaclear have their own fibre network totally separate from Openreach. You will never get a service from the likes of BT or Sky etc.
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:14:57
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thank-you for your response. I didn't know that, their renewal notice includes this option:
<snip>
3 Switch to a different provider
You may also get a better deal if you purchase your TV, broadband and landline services alongside any other services you have as part of a combined deal with another provider.
</snip>

So this is not a real option?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:27:31
Print Post

I took a closer look at their website, they do have a few select partners, but none of the big guys. Doesn't look like any deals are likely to be forthcoming.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:29:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by APH999:
Thank-you for your response. I didn't know that, their renewal notice includes this option:
<snip>
3 Switch to a different provider
You may also get a better deal if you purchase your TV, broadband and landline services alongside any other services you have as part of a combined deal with another provider.
</snip>

So this is not a real option?
I believe you do have a small selection of ISP's to choose from after the initial contract with Gigaclear comes to an end. You may need to contact Gigaclear direct to get the list as it will not be the same list as for the Openreach network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:57:48
Print Post

This is one of the problems with these networks, you are stuck with what they offer. i notice Gigaclear is not cheap either, for a 30Mb/s, which is a less than what I get with FTTC, it is £39 a month, ok so the upload is faster, but still a bit pricey.

So you can not even get FTTC where you are?

In the next 14 months or, so we are having FTTP here, from a company called Zzoomm, i am not sure if i will bother or not, for very reason you posted about, but their prices are better than gigaclear.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:57:57
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

https://www.gigaclear.com/our-partners no need to contact them it is on the website

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Nov-20 10:01:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://www.gigaclear.com/our-partners no need to contact them it is on the website
Thats good to know
Standard User APH999
(newbie) Sun 29-Nov-20 10:19:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

No, we are somewhat in the sticks. The Gigaclear offer we took up was a good one, free installation and a £35/month contract for 18months (300mb). Their service has been 1st class, I've only had to restart the Gateway once in that period (last week!), there have been no other unplanned interruptions with only a handful planned overnight that didn't affect us. The main worry is what might happen going forward, but may be there will be more competition at some point. Thanks all - I will make a few speculative phone calls just in case there is any wiggle room.
Standard User jpm
(member) Sun 29-Nov-20 11:26:00
Print Post

That's the Ofcom-mandated notification. You have the option of switching to a different provider - this could be ADSL, satellite, LTE, fixed wireless etc. It's not saying you have the option to move to a different provider using their infrastructure.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to