General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 123brian
(newbie) Thu 14-Jan-21 16:43:30
Print Post

Can I switch routers?

[link to this post]

May I ask a quick question? I have changed the server settings on the router in order to block adverts and malware so it is not easy to switch the adblocker off when requested.
If on these occasions I was to switch to an alternative router with the default server settings would that cause a problem at the exchange?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jan-21 18:19:39
Print Post

Re: Can I switch routers?

[re: 123brian] [link to this post]

The exchange does not care about the DNS settings you have configured in the router.

It will care about a router that is compatible with whatever service you are using and where authentication details are needed these have been set in any alternate router.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User andynormancx
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-21 18:35:37
Print Post

A better plan might be to get a Raspberry Pi, install PiHole on that and the turn PiHole off when you need to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jan-21 09:13:54
Print Post

It might care if you were to do it a lot - if on FTTC or ADSL then lots of changes of the router could make it think there is a problem and it may slow down your connection to compensate for a perceived issue.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Fri 15-Jan-21 09:18:41
Print Post

Rather than switching routers, can you set up a guest network on your main router with different settings? You could then switch to the guest network for sites where you need to turn off the adblocker (or vice versa).
Standard User 123brian
(newbie) Fri 15-Jan-21 16:42:17
Print Post

Thank you, nice and clear. I will set up a guest network.
  Print Thread

Jump to