General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 18:28:19
Print Post

Re: EE unlimited data

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Is that the case when devices are connected to the router the sim is in?

I’m confused as to what this limit actually limits!
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:18:42
Print Post

[re: autopilot] [link to this post]

If you were to put the SIM in a phone and "tether" multiple devices to the phone, EE would soon assume you were running a business such as a game hub.

If you the SIM in a router (such as the B525) and have a household full of wireless gadgets and a few computers, EE would only see the one device... the router.
Standard User autopilot
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:34:13
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Ok, so the limit just applies to tethering from a phone, got it.

Still slightly confused, as I thought a phone was acting as a router when tethering, but at least I wouldn’t have issues changing from Three to EE with my b525.

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:39:36
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

I take it you paid the upfront cost for the Router ? To get the 30 day contract.

I need to call them fast then if thats the case. as i'm on the same plan.
(regular) Thu 29-Aug-19 19:59:56
Print Post

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

I went in on Saturday 24th, before the Unlimited SIM was announced and paid the £40/m for 200Gb plus the upfront router cost since I wanted the one month contract. Because I was intending to use my own outdoor kit the manager offered to reduce the up front cost of the router somewhat which was handy.

Then yesterday (28th) the new SIM offer came out. I phoned the store and the same staff member agreed to do the SIM swap if I came in. He added the new SIM at £34/m for Unlimited which took a while as it was too new to be on the shop system yet. He then took off the 200Gb SIM via a call to the Cancellations team.

The only downside was that I did have to pay the first month of the 200Gb SIM as well as the new Unlimited SIM but I did get to keep the modem.

This actually worked out rather handily since I am now allowing my neighbour to use the 200Gb SIM and modem for a short while to show him what he would gain if he too ditched the FTTC connection with the same terrible speed that I used to get.
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:28:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Can anyone confirm the minimum contract length? I'm assuming 12 months but I can't seem to find that info anywhere?

Just this week I have purchased a 4G router (Tp-link MR6400) and a 3 unlimited data sim which is £24 per month having given up on FTTP for now...

The 3 sim seems to get a download speed of roughly 15mb/s, however my mobile which is with EE gets ~ 70mb/s and shows it connecting to 4G+...is there any reason this sim wouldn't connect at this speed (or 60mb/s if this is in fact the cap)?
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:19:31
Print Post

[re: RomaN] [link to this post]

It is 12 months, yes.

I can't comment on the maximum download speed but the 60Mpbs they mention is likely to be a typical speed because they do stress "uncapped speeds" on the advert for the SIM.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:30:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by RomaN:
The 3 sim seems to get a download speed of roughly 15mb/s, however my mobile which is with EE gets ~ 70mb/s and shows it connecting to 4G+...is there any reason this sim wouldn't connect at this speed (or 60mb/s if this is in fact the cap)?

This chart shows the 4G spectrum for most of the operators, missing out O2's additional 2300 they gained in 2018:
http://i.imgur.com/wMggQna.png

You can see visually why speeds differ between networks, and spectrum is just ONE of many variables.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:39:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Interestingly I've just run off a speed test using the 4G on my phone and got ~ 70mb/s...I then had a brainwave and put the sim in the router and then ran off a speedtest via the laptop (wired to the router) and got between 17mb/s and 29mb/s.

I'm not sure why they would differ quite so much - the devices were in the same places, however without the increase I'm better off sticking with 3 at the lower speed and lower price.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 20:03:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RomaN:
I'm not sure why they would differ quite so much - the devices were in the same places, however without the increase I'm better off sticking with 3 at the lower speed and lower price.

Most likely your phone is a much higher category of 4G support than the router.

It is sad that most of the routers available to buy are LTE category (CAT) 4 at best (150mbps speed), which is equivalent to a phone from 2015 or earlier. First generation 4G phones.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to