General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 19-Sep-19 21:46:14
Print Post

Three L-Band rollout

[link to this post]

Three have today announced that they plan to roll out 1.4GHz L-Band Spectrum to the majority of their network to improve LTE performance and also refarm some 3G spectrum to 4G

All sounds good, but does anyone know where and when this rollout will take place?

I've been thinking of switching to Three for a while, but their LTE speeds in Aberdeen are a bit on the low side, this upgrade would be enough to tip it over the edge for me to make the jump, but I have a suspicion that this roll out will be slow and be years before Aberdeen (or anywhere in Scotland, really) to see the benefit

Or is my skepticism misplaced and this will be a fast rollout involving mainly software updates and very little physical site upgrades. This tweet seems to imply it'll be everywhere by Christmas https://twitter.com/ThreeUK/status/1174669760832913408
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 20-Sep-19 06:50:20
Print Post

Re: Three L-Band rollout

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

I donít read that tweet as implying anything other than some of their 4G will be faster.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-19 06:53:22
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
I donít read that tweet as implying anything other than some of their 4G will be faster.

If you have a compatible device. The list is quite short, and only mentioned phones.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Sep-19 10:20:43
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Techradar say:-
Those with a compatible handset will see performance improve by 150 per cent, while those without will still see a bump of 50 per cent.
That seems a dubious claim in itself, but I canít for some reason pick up the URL on my iPad. I just went to google and typed three l-band and a banner result appeared, with other results below.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Sep-19 11:18:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That seems a dubious claim in itself, but I canít for some reason pick up the URL on my iPad. I just went to google and typed three l-band and a banner result appeared, with other results below.

The assumption there is that enough devices will move to the L Band frequencies to release capacity for other devices on the old frequencies.

The spectrum in the L Band for cellular is shared between Three and Vodafone, and is known as Supplemental DownLink (SDL) in the jargon. This is because it is only one way, from the mast to your device. So it only works where there is existing capacity on another frequency to allow the device to transmit to the mast.

Three and Vodafone have spectrum at 1400mhz (the L band), and they bought this from Qualcomm in 2015:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/23/ofcom_appro...

This is known as LTE Band 32, so check handset specifications for Band 32 support. I think the B525 might support.

Three's own press release has the supported handsets listed:
http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/news/2019/19-08-20...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 20-Sep-19 11:19:56)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Fri 20-Sep-19 12:05:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by connormill:
Three have today announced that they plan to roll out 1.4GHz L-Band Spectrum to the majority of their network to improve LTE performance and also refarm some 3G spectrum to 4G

All sounds good, but does anyone know where and when this rollout will take place?

I've been thinking of switching to Three for a while, but their LTE speeds in Aberdeen are a bit on the low side, this upgrade would be enough to tip it over the edge for me to make the jump, but I have a suspicion that this roll out will be slow and be years before Aberdeen (or anywhere in Scotland, really) to see the benefit

Or is my skepticism misplaced and this will be a fast rollout involving mainly software updates and very little physical site upgrades. This tweet seems to imply it'll be everywhere by Christmas https://twitter.com/ThreeUK/status/1174669760832913408

WOW customers are really slating the rubbish speeds Three are supplying. shocked

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Sep-19 12:14:56
Print Post

[re: busterboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by busterboy:
WOW customers are really slating the rubbish speeds Three are supplying. shocked
In the USA?

Edit: Ah, I see you aren't talking about providers, but World Of Warcraft players. Doesn't that rely on latency, rather than speed? I didn't think any serious gamers used mobile broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Sep-19 12:18:20)

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Fri 20-Sep-19 12:55:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

And their press release also say they need to install new antennae.

"6,000 sites carrying 80% of our traffic will be upgraded with new antennas"
Standard User connormill
(member) Fri 20-Sep-19 13:10:28
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:

They are staring the rollout now, so if the tweet was meant as "some sites will be done" why don't they market it as our 4G is already faster and will get faster in more areas

Saying "by christmas" to me implies the rollout will be complete by then
Standard User woodmass14
(committed) Fri 20-Sep-19 15:12:45
Print Post

Their own press release states

"The upgrades have already started in our busiest areas, so customers will start to see the benefits by the end of the year."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to