Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:37:58
Print Post

Win7 and Win10 co-exist on network?

[link to this post]

My wife's Win7 pc has passed the point of no-return, so looks like a Win10 replacement. Should I expect problems with sharing files between my two pc's, Win7 Pro 64-bit and a Win 10 64-bit pc? Or will they happily co-exist on our wired network?

Thanks!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 12:41:38
Print Post

Re: Win7 and Win10 co-exist on network?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

They will happily co-exist without problem.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Sun 01-Sep-19 16:28:15
Print Post

Hi,

I have two laptops on my network (among other devices) & (for the most part) they work comfortably together. I use the W7 for VPN and as a file server. The W10 laptop is the one that I carry around with me when I go out to various location that I feel I might need a laptop.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 541.32Mb/sec Down & 37.37Mb/sec Up (according to Speedtest.net W7 App)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 19:26:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
My wife's Win7 pc has passed the point of no-return, so looks like a Win10 replacement. Should I expect problems with sharing files between my two pc's, Win7 Pro 64-bit and a Win 10 64-bit pc? Or will they happily co-exist on our wired network?

Thanks!
Should be fine. My server (email, media and files) runs on Win 7 whereas everything else runs on Win 10. I've tried to update the server to Win 10 but it failed. In the meantime it seems to run quite happily and service requests from anything else on the LAN.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 22:06:00
Print Post

Many thanks James, Mark and Andrue.

I have been wary of Win10 ever since finding that not all my gear had suitable drivers available; I went through the same between WinXP and Win7....

So please to hear that a Win10 PC should happily co-exist on our network.

I say should, since for the last week my Win7 PC keeps loosing contact with my Brother printer which is accessed via the network. Has been quite strange, either when trying to print and nothing happens or yesterday when page 1 & 2 of a 24 page document printed and the printer just stopped! The PC reporting that it cannot find the printer and similarly when trying to reinstall the printer, the Brother install disc having issues locating the printer. So far either keying in the IP address for the printer or its name has eventually worked. This all started after a thunderstorm which took out my modem-router and VoIP adaptor.

Thanks again

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco PAP2T and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-19 14:23:25
Print Post

I've generally been happy with Win 10, use it at work and at home and it's fine. I did try to upgrade my server to Win 10 but it wasn't happy. It runs on a Fit-PC which is niche hardware but usually you just upgrade, boot into safe mode and install appropriate drivers (which they have available on their web site) then reboot normally.

But Win 10 got as far as the final 'hear we go!' boot and failed. It wasn't obvious why but after studying the very verbose installation log it looked like a problem accessing the SSD. A strange thing to have a problem with given that there are no specific Win 10 drivers for that and also that by then it had already copied gigabytes of data on and modified/generated config files.

But at that point the stress was getting to me so I just restored the old image and called it quits. I don't have a huge problem with leaving that server running on Win 7 for now. It runs headless and mostly I ignore it so there security implications are pretty minor.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
  Print Thread

Jump to