Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Thomasjc1
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-20 20:31:00
Print Post

What router

[link to this post]

Hi Iím just swapping from plusnet using bt modem and Asus router to talk talk which the router is a router modem combo. Iím guessing the talk talk router wonít be brilliant so shall I get a new router modem combo if so what is good these days or keep the bt modem and buy a new router.

My Asus is an old one so want to get something new
Standard User rowter
(learned) Fri 03-Jan-20 20:49:50
Print Post

Re: What router

[re: Thomasjc1] [link to this post]

I really like my ASUS router. I would turn off the wireless on the TT one and use it as a ethernet connection point and 1 being my ASUS for the wireless
Standard User mbames
(committed) Fri 03-Jan-20 21:04:50
Print Post

[re: rowter] [link to this post]

I'm a Draytek user.... certainly not cheap, but does everything I need (and plenty more!)

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-20 21:09:24
Print Post

If you're getting the TalkTalk Wifi Hub, then i would give it a try as its supposed to be quite good.

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200

Edited by baby_frogmella (Fri 03-Jan-20 21:12:52)

Standard User Thomasjc1
(newbie) Fri 03-Jan-20 21:13:26
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Yes Iím going to first .i just donít think the range is going to be up to what I need so just getting ideas
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jan-20 23:49:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Thomasjc1:
Yes Iím going to first .i just donít think the range is going to be up to what I need so just getting ideas
The range is as good as top of the range routers, it is on par with BTs SmartHub. I suspect it will be fine.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jan-20 23:53:11
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

The ASUS hardware is very close to Draytek with some nice tweaks. Such as Merlinís build, and if thatís not enough you can run Tomato on most of them.

I had Draytek for years in ADSL days, and now think they are slightly overpriced.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Thomasjc1
(newbie) Sun 05-Jan-20 14:06:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

So if I was to get a new router would you go just new router and use the BT modem or buy a router with built in modem. Again this is after Iíve tried the talk talk one
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Jan-20 14:22:42
Print Post

It depends on what functionality you require from a router. Standalone routers can be more powerful, be tri-band wifi equipped, allow third party firmware such as DD-WRT to be installed and generally offer more advanced features. On the other hand, if you just plan to do the basic stuff then an all-in-one option is better.

If you want a 2 box setup, then i would suggest something like the Draytrek 130 + Netgear R7800. For a 1 box solution something like the Billion 8900AX would be perfect.

But give the Talktalk Superhub a try first, you might be pleasantly surprised wink

BT Business FTTP(oD) 330/50 -- 4+2 ONT -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jan-20 14:23:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Thomasjc1:
So if I was to get a new router would you go just new router and use the BT modem or buy a router with built in modem. Again this is after Iíve tried the talk talk one

Depends what you want, not all the routers with built in modems are as good as the Ethernet versions. e.g. avoid the ASUS DSL-AC88U as it has less features than the RT-AC88U, and can't take alternative firmware.

For a VDSL modem (for FTTC) connections, I suggest a ZyXel VMG1312-B10A which can be configured in a modem mode. Or you can keep using an Openreach modem (e.g. Huawei HG612) until it fails.

VirginMedia 200/20 (22 Nov 19). Was FTTC for 7 years (55/12 to 46/5)
20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 05-Jan-20 14:25:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to