User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 01-Oct-19 15:03:36
Print Post

Business Broadband reliability?

[link to this post]

Been on Business AAISP FTTC for ages, and it's been reliable. However, I am a long way from the cab, and I really want faster speeds.

Virgin is half the price than what I am paying now, and much faster.

Reliability and latency is the biggest factor for me. Am i going to regret this?
Standard User nameGoesHere
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-19 15:32:00
Print Post

Re: Business Broadband reliability?

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

Most of the time it's OK but when it goes bad you'll suffer. I've been down twice for extended periods with missed no show engineers visits . The last time it was found in Jan I was down for a week.

They wouldn't accept there was an issue even though I told them there was.
Standard User mrmarktigger
(regular) Fri 25-Oct-19 22:44:05
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

I concur with what nameGoesHere said.

It's Brilliant good when it's good and it's Very bad when it's bad. Making them believe you have an issue is a nightmare.
Can take weeks for them to believe you but only takes a couple of weeks to fix once they believe you.

I have just signed up to them again with a M200 connection and it is working fine (at the moment).

However, I have still kept my FTTC 80/20 connection as backup / load balance and Failover connection with a
Draytek Vigor 2862 Series Router also. So if one goes bad, it's not such a problem, I would still have fight for Virgin to believe me if it goes wrong. However, at least life will go on.........

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-19 08:12:29
Print Post

[re: mrmarktigger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mrmarktigger:
I concur with what nameGoesHere said.

It's Brilliant good when it's good and it's Very bad when it's bad. Making them believe you have an issue is a nightmare.
Can take weeks for them to believe you but only takes a couple of weeks to fix once they believe you.

I have just signed up to them again with a M200 connection and it is working fine (at the moment).

However, I have still kept my FTTC 80/20 connection as backup / load balance and Failover connection with a
Draytek Vigor 2862 Series Router also. So if one goes bad, it's not such a problem, I would still have fight for Virgin to believe me if it goes wrong. However, at least life will go on.........

It is a sad fact of life, and it hits you in the pocket, but if your needs are for an always on internet connection, then two sources of a connection is a must.
Standard User nameGoesHere
(newbie) Tue 29-Oct-19 10:47:19
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Not an option for me as no fttc in my cab. I live a stones throw from the city center but nothing 8(
Standard User markieb
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 13:45:02
Print Post

[re: nameGoesHere] [link to this post]

If you run business processes that require fixed IP addresses or RDNS then Virgin is definately NOT the choice for you.
I battled for two years giving them every opportunity to get it working but eventually I had to dump their fixed IP joke and pay the same for their (sticky) dynamic IP product. That was the only way to get the actualy speeds I was paying for and a decent lower latency. Their fixed IP product caused constant random modem reboots which went away when I changed to their dynamic package.
I have to use a 80/20 FTTC product to get fixed IP addresses and RDNS for my servers.
Standard User xnsys
(newbie) Tue 07-Jan-20 11:59:02
Print Post

[re: markieb] [link to this post]

Bit of a thread revival.

Virgin Media Business is a right nightmare with the static IP addresses - I'm currently awaiting call back for a fault that's been going on since the day the service went live, I've got about 14 call references with Virgin Media, who always want to close the call before confirming that the fault has been fixed.

The line has been up and down at the most inconvenient times - and I've even had a ping report sending out to the gateway - the line is reporting a 94.82% availability this month, which is about average - meaning that it's been down for over a hour every day, day in day out...if it carries on like this then I would have over 18 days without internet in a year...

It would appear that this is all to do with the GRE tunnel and the firmware off the sh!tty HITRON modems, just wish that there was an alternative...

So my advice, if you need static IP addresses or a business line - stay away from Virgin Media - the reliability is not worth it.
  Print Thread

Jump to