General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 02-Apr-12 20:38:26
Print Post

Huawei HG612 working as a router

[link to this post]

Has anyone got one working as a router? I think Openreach supply it as a modem, but it does have router functions.
Standard User neilll
(regular) Wed 04-Apr-12 13:35:19
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG612 working as a router

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Has anyone got one working as a router? I think Openreach supply it as a modem, but it does have router functions.

BT lock them down with their own firmware but the device is capable of quite a lot of things. I've seen documentation on how to 'unlock' them but expect to endure the wrath of BT if you do and something goes wrong smile

Regards,
Neill

ZeN Fibre Active (FTTC/37mb)
Check Point Safe@Office UTM
Exchange - Corby (EMCRRBY)
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 04-Apr-12 20:14:07
Print Post

[re: neilll] [link to this post]

I'll put you down as a "no" then.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:31:49
Print Post

We do this in our office.

Once unlocked, you can switch it from Bridge mode to Routed Mode and have the modem do the PPPoE authentication itself. You can also turn DHCP on and set up virtual servers etc, just like a normal router.

Simply plug the modem in to a switch and thats that smile No wireless of course, still need an access point etc.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:35:22
Print Post

Cool. Do I need to know any settings, or are they already in there?

Congrats on your new status btw smile
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:40:41
Print Post

Thanks.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged in to the modem in LAN 2 not LAN 1, and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click Submit

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

You can now use both LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports for 2 devices or plug 1 in to a switch etc.
HTH

Edited by deleted (Wed 04-Apr-12 21:41:51)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:43:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Thanks.

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged in to the modem in LAN 2 not LAN 1, and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click Submit

The router will now handle the PPPoE connection. To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left, and simply tick the Enable DHCP box, then Submit

You can now use both LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports for 2 devices or plug 1 in to a switch etc.
HTH
Thanks James, nice one wink
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 04-Apr-12 23:40:04
Print Post

And you can change the internal IP range too if you want to move away from the common 192.168.xx.xx.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 08:15:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That all went very well, after I remembered to have the modem connected to the phoneline.

I now have got a modem/router which is:

handling the pppoe session,
the firewall is off,
QOS is off,
UPNP is on,
TR069 is off,
logging is on,
DHCP is handing out addresses,
and both lan ports are in use.

Next stage is statistics graphing and a bit of automation.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 09:35:24
Print Post

If memory sreves me right, you are using this modem on an ADSL connection.

Some parts of the Windows Graphing Scripts MIGHT work, but I think ADSL has different names for some of the data/information.

e.g. I believe ADSL's SF (SuperFrames) is named OHF (OverHeadFrames) for VDSL2 (FTTC) connections & the scripts are written for VDSL2.

If you access a terminal program (Putty seems to be a good one as you can easily set it up to store log files etc.), you could try running the "xdslcmd --help" command to see what stats/info would be available.

Then you could run the relevant commands to see what the output data looks like & maybe spot the differences that would need changing?

It MIGHT just be a simple case of Find/Replace the relevant VDSL2 terms/names with ADSL terms/names.

I ALMOST got RouterStats working with the HG612, but it gave spurious results.
It looked like some of the data from the modem's web page (http://192.168.1.1/html/status/xdslStatus.asp) moved around a little & confused RouterStats.

Text
# xdslcmd --help
 Usage: xdslcmd start [--up] [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]
           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]
           [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a">] [--us0 <on|off>]
           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>]           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]
       xdslcmd stop       xdslcmd connection [--up] [--down] [--loopback] [--reverb]
           [--medley] [--noretrain] [--L3] [--diagmode] [--L0]           [--tones] [--normal] [--freezeReverb] [--freezeMedley]
       xdslcmd configure [--mod <a|d|l|t|2|p|e|m|v>] [--lpair <(i)nner|(o)uter>]           [--trellis <on|off>] [--snr <snrQ4>] [--bitswap <on|off>] [--sesdrop <on|off>]
           [--sra <on|off>] [--CoMinMgn <on|off>] [--i24k <on|off>] [--phyReXmt <0xBitMap-UsDs>]           [--TpsTc <0xBitMap-AvPvAaPa>] [--monitorTone <on|off>]
           [--profile <0x00 - 0xFF>|<"8a |8b |8c |8d |12a |12b |17a">] [--us0 <on|off>]           [--dynamicD <on|off>] [--dynamicF <on|off>] [--SOS <on|off>]
           [--forceJ43 <on|off>] [--toggleJ43B43 <on|off>]       xdslcmd bert [--start <#seconds>] [--stop] [--show]
       xdslcmd afelb [--time <sec>] [--tones] [--signal <1/2/8>]       xdslcmd qlnmntr [--time <sec>] [--freq <msec>]
       xdslcmd inm [--start <BB_THRESH 10*dB> <INMIATO> <INMIATS>] [--stop] [--show]       xdslcmd snrclamp [--shape <shapeId>] [--bpshape [bpIndex-bpLevel,]]
       xdslcmd diag [--logstart <nBytes>] [--logpause] [--logstop] [--loguntilbufferfull <nBytes>]           [--loguntilretrain <nBytes>]
               xdslcmd info [--state] [--show] [--stats] [--SNR] [--QLN] [--Hlog] [--Hlin] [--HlinS] [--Bits]
           [--pbParams] [--linediag] [--linediag1] [--reset] [--vendor] [--cfg] 
       xdslcmd profile [--show] [--save] [--restore]       xdslcmd --version
       xdslcmd --help
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 09:50:03
Print Post

No, its on a FTTC connection.

If I try Putty, I get an error saying "Server refused to allocate pty"
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 12:11:21
Print Post

I can't remember PuTTy's default settings, but they do need to be:-

Host name or IP Address: 192.168.1.1 (or whatever it has been changed to)
Connection Type: Telnet
Port: 23
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 12:13:50
Print Post

Ah, got it (I'm using ssh btw)

I have to "Either ssh to the server with the -T flag (disabled pseudo terminals) or via putty Click on the SSH tree (+) on the left side of the putty window then TTY and check "Don't allocate a pseudo terminal""

then that gives me the ATP> prompt, so I have to enter "shell"

then I can do "xdslcmd" etc..
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 12:59:26
Print Post

then that gives me the ATP> prompt, so I have to enter "shell"

then I can do "xdslcmd" etc..
Ok, I see if I just use telnet, I get the ATP prompt.

Anyone know how to get the modem to reboot via telnet?

LOL, after shell do "reboot" laugh

Edited by deleted (Sat 07-Apr-12 13:02:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 18:58:05
Print Post

If I've understood this thread, this means anyone with a bit of nous can let the engineer install, with no router, (assuming not BT broadband), then do the above and connect via ethernet into their ADSLx router and use that as the WAP. (With the appropriate settings in it of course).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:10:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes I think so. With the hacked firmware from asbokid, you actually get a full-featured VDSL modem/router - just no wifi. (It also works on ADSL).
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:52:35
Print Post

Yes that would work...

Of course if you just have one PC to be wired, you dont even need to unlock the modem, just plug it direct in to the PC using LAN1 and set Windows/Mac/Linux to dial a PPPoE connection.

James
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:57:12
Print Post

but because the HG612 is configured as a modem, the firewall is inactive and the PC is on the internet "naked"
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Apr-12 19:57:36
Print Post

That's what I was meaning a new user could do to test the installation, while the engineer was there, then play afterwards.

It could save savvy people the cost of a router and the redundancy of their existing one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 08-Apr-12 09:17:55
Print Post

That's correct by default, but the PC will likely have some basic firewall like most routers.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 08-Apr-12 09:19:15
Print Post

Yep, this is what we tell all our customers to do if they have not got round to using a new router or changing their settings.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 08-Apr-12 09:22:26
Print Post

Is it just a matter of turning off DHCP on the router or is it more involved? Or do you double-NAT?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 08-Apr-12 09:26:34
Print Post

Turn DHCP off on the router and make sure it's not listening on the same IP as the Openreach modem (192.168.1.1 or whatever you set it to).

Plug the modem in to one of the LAN ports on the existing router you are using. Then, any WiFi or LAN connections should just go through the router to the modem and pick up the correct DHCP address and DNS etc.

In other words you are just using the router as a switch.

James

Edited by deleted (Sun 08-Apr-12 09:27:15)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 08-Apr-12 09:30:37
Print Post

Turn DHCP off on the router and make sure it's not listening on the same IP as the Openreach modem (192.168.1.1 or whatever you set it to).

Plug the modem in to one of the LAN ports on the existing router you are using. Then, any WiFi or LAN connections should just go through the router to the modem and pick up the correct DHCP address and DNS etc.

In other words you are just using the router as a switch
...and a WAP, great idea smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 11:08:23
Print Post

hello there, i was hoping for abit of help... i have unlocked the Huawei HG612 and i want the same setup as it is apart from i want to setup lan2 to work with my pc for the net... lan1 will be used for the hh3 for wireless.. lan2 for pc ... also easy excess to the web inference
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 12-Jun-12 11:26:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Give the Huawei a suitable fixed IP address within your normal DHCP range.

Leave the existing LAN1 to HH3 WAN port in place. Connect LAN 2 to a LAN port on the HH3.

Your PC will then access the Web across the normal route, wireless will work, and then if you want to access the modem, just use the defined IP address.

M H C

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 12-Jun-12 15:15:37
Print Post

could u explain in more detail please.. am a novice...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 12-Jun-12 16:12:31
Print Post

If you cannot understand that information, then I doubt if you should really be playing around and unlocking modem and accessing the devices.

M H C

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 12-Jun-12 16:18:49
Print Post

No harm in trying to learn... with the obvious recommendation that existing settings are noted down before being modified!

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Sep-12 11:41:53
Print Post

my blog *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:46:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Hi guys

I don't know how you all got so smart but I have been trying to do this for 8 hours straight now and I'm at breaking point! I just can Not get it to work...

I have flashed the unlocked firmware on to the HG612 supplied by BT and have access to all the settings, I want to have it function as a modem router and be able to plug a Airport Express in to each Port (Two express routers)

Me and my brother argue constantly about wireless bandwidth and in the end decided to buy a router each! Thing is I need to get the hg612 to connect using the PPPoA etc so that the Airport expresses will both work!

After 8 hours all I have achieved is to have both ports on the hg612 active by unclicking both Port Binding boxes! Both Airport expresses will conect and to either port but not both at the same time because they are both handling PPPoA etc and the bt username/password! I want the modem to do that! frown So I changed from Bridge to Route, DHCP to PPPoA, put my bt username and password in and turned on DHCP server under Basic->LAN! Then went on to configure the expresses but Nothing, and I can't get Internet straight from the hg612 to a pc via Ethernet either!

You are all making out like its easy and only a few settings need changing, well I followed every piece of info on this thread And others and it will not work and is not easy! There's LOADS of setting in this modem what do I do with all those that arent mentioned? Like VPI/VCI etc and dsl type and encapsulation etc etc etc? There's no where on the web interface saying if an internet conection is active I'm just completely lost and upset now...

Why do bt send us these things if they can't even be used properly without a networking degree :-/

Sorry for the rant I'm just really upset tongue
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 18:56:10
Print Post

If you have Infinity, it uses PTM not ATM.
Go to Basic, WAN and click on PTM1.101
Connection Mode Route
Connection Type PPPOE
User Name [email protected] password anything
Like it says here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109999-hua...

Edited by deleted (Sat 03-Nov-12 19:03:40)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 03-Nov-12 20:12:29
Print Post

Hi BatBoy thanks for your reply!

I had already done all of that to no avail frown
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 20:20:04
Print Post

Have you enabled the log?
Maintenance | Log
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 03-Nov-12 20:22:39
Print Post

No, why?

Do I have to manually put in all the VPI/VCI settings etc as well or do I leave them blank?

Thanks for helping by the way smile
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 20:28:02
Print Post

The log may give you some clues about what's going on.

You don't use ATM, VCI and VPI for fibre. You need PTM with VLAN 101 instead.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 20:42:39
Print Post

Ok, here's the bits I have I some pics, maybe you could spot something not right tongue

http://f.cl.ly/items/3r0v24290i300p3N1q0x/ClouDrop%2...
http://f.cl.ly/items/0O1k2l041D2s0p3S0y2P/ClouDrop%2...
http://f.cl.ly/items/2G1T0Z28300o452U3u3F/ClouDrop%2...
http://f.cl.ly/items/2t1f2a320D3v3B3l2D0K/ClouDrop%2...
http://f.cl.ly/items/0T1M2n0s1j3v0F3d3C3N/ClouDrop%2...
http://f.cl.ly/items/0f1z3f3A1R2M2n3b4021/ClouDrop%2...

Sorry for the quality lol, took them quick on my iPad tongue
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 20:49:09
Print Post

Looks ok, but what's in the log?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 20:54:27
Print Post

Thing is I have to keep resetting the router to get back online using the Airport Express for PPPoE everytime I fail and seek more info lol

I'll try again then reset when I fail Again and tell you what the log says! tongue
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 21:10:56
Print Post

Ok it keeps saying PPP dial up failed :-/

http://f.cl.ly/items/210j0E0o2y3N1v2x2R0h/ClouDrop%2...
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 21:24:12
Print Post

Looks like it's working to me. Try plugging the PC into LAN1 on the modem and automatically getting the settings.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 21:26:12
Print Post

I have, it just says unidentified network No Internet access :-/

I just noticed you can install a config file! Could I get one for this setup from anywhere?

Edited by deleted (Sat 03-Nov-12 21:27:14)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 21:48:41
Print Post

Unfortunately the option to save one is greyed out on my modem.

Can I just check you're on residential infinity?

Make sure the user name is [email protected] and something like abcd for the password.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Nov-12 22:02:11
Print Post

Yea residential! I think I am going to give up now, 11 and a half hours later! It's not ganna happen is it frown

What other options do I have, could I buy a switch or something to connect to the hg612 and then plug the two airport expresses into that and have them work independently with Internet? Assuming a switch can use PPPoE to conect to the Internet...

I can't believe I have to buy a second piece of hardware to do the job the hg612 should be able to do! These big companies really do give out the cheapest crapiest hardware don't they frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-Nov-12 23:02:48
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG612 working as a router *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 03-Nov-12 23:03:08)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Nov-12 19:56:40
Print Post

Can i just ask, what is the TR069_INTERNET service in the Basic>Wan tap? I noticed it is routing as DHCP and in the status pane it is the only service that has an ip, mask and dns addresses (ptm1.303) the ptm1.101 does not have any addresses at all...

Can the 303 be deleted without affecting this set up?

Thanks
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Nov-12 21:22:21
Print Post

I deleted mine, by unticking the WAN connection enable box, because I suspected foreign connections were being made to my modem.

I haven't noticed any bad side effects.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Nov-12 23:44:34
Print Post

Omg I got it working laugh I had not put the DNS addresses in the DHCP server settings :-\ What an idiot I am!

Hey do you know if I can configure the HG612 to connect using a VPN?

Thanks for all your help
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Nov-12 23:53:36
Print Post

Ah, excellent.
Don't think you can. I just use a VPN dialler on the PC.
Remember to disable Qos and CWMP in Advanced.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 05-Nov-12 00:59:33
Print Post

Ah ok, yea Qos and CWMP are both off! Just trying to work out this firewall stuff atm, I want to block some online games from the Internet such as world of Warcraft and leuge of legends, I know the ports they use as I googled it (TCP/UDP) various ports and port ranges, but not quite sure how to configure blocking ports using the HG612 firewall :-/

My brother has a very bad addiction, just want to block the bad ones!
Standard User omnius
(regular) Mon 05-Nov-12 18:47:27
Print Post

but because the HG612 is configured as a modem, the firewall is inactive and the PC is on the internet "naked"

Ive unlocked mine but the firewall was enabled when i got it, is it safe to turn off as i have both the hh3 and pc firewalls on?

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep I really am THAT thick!

Smallworld Cable ..... 5Meg then upped to 20Meg
O2 ADSL2+ .... 13.6Meg (ish)
Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
BT Infinity2 VDSL2 (BT est 72.1/20 HG612 max report 103.6/34.9) And BT HH3
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 05-Nov-12 19:13:09
Print Post

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

When I turned mine off, the web interface was available on the internet. So I turned it back on.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Nov-12 20:08:14
Print Post

When I turned mine off, the web interface was available on the internet. So I turned it back on.

But yours has an IP address; if the other poster is using HomeHub then surely the public IP is only on the homehub, so you won't be able to get to the Huawei's web interface.

That said, if the poster is using the homehub there isn't any firewall in the Huawei that is doing anything!!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 05-Nov-12 20:18:11
Print Post

It's not very safe to disable the firewall. frown The HG612 firewall is best left up at all times (preferably with the "standard" ruleset, or better).

Otherwise rogues can log-in remotely via the embedded web server or via the telnetd interface to do all sorts of nasties. They could, e.g., install tcpdump on your router, and intercept all your traffic, perhaps even steal your entire p0rn stash! frown

The firewall on the HG612 is a standard Linux stateful packet inspection firewall. It comes in two parts, the netfilter kernel modules, and the userspace tool iptables.

While logged in to the Huawei via a telnet shell, it's possible to list all the rules in the current firewall chains using iptables. As a firewall, the barest safeguard is to drop incoming packets to 22/tcp, 23/tcp and 80/tcp.

Text
# iptables -L -n
...Chain INPUT_SERVICE_ACL (1 references)
target prot opt source    destination         ACCEPT all  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  state RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT all  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0           ACCEPT tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:23 
ACCEPT tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:80 ACCEPT tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:80 
ACCEPT icmp --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0           ACCEPT tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:8081 
ACCEPT tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  tcp dpt:23 DROP   tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0  multiport dports 21,80,22,23,8081   <---- 
DROP   icmp --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0           ...

With the firewall disabled this is how the HG612 appears to an intruder*:

HG612 - Firewall Disabled (several critical network services open to every Tom, Dick and Harriet).

With the firewall enabled (with "standard" ruleset), this is how the HG612 appears to an intruder*:

HG612 - Firewall Enabled (sshd, telnetd, httpd all closed and stealthed by a DROP rule)

End-user security is probably a (valid) reason that Beatie locked down the GUI for the HG612.

cheers, a

* These are only network scans of common ports. Not shown in the grc.com scan, but nevertheless running by default is Beatie's remote management daemon, btagent which listens on 161/udp and 161/tcp. There are a couple other network services, too.

For the professional paranoiac, the netstat tool will list every network daemon running on the Huawei.

Edited by deleted (Mon 05-Nov-12 23:35:47)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 05-Nov-12 20:29:38
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
But yours has an IP address; if the other poster is using HomeHub then surely the public IP is only on the homehub, so you won't be able to get to the Huawei's web interface.
That said, if the poster is using the homehub there isn't any firewall in the Huawei that is doing anything!!
You're right...

It depends on how the HG612 is configured. If the Huawei HG612 is left running as an ethernet bridge, just as Beatie intended, then these network services are not visible on the WAN-side, and security is in the hands of the router (the BT Home Hub or whatever).

However, if the HG612 is configured as a modem-router (as per the thread topic) then pppd will be running on the HG612 to provide the TCP/IP layer of the stack. In that case, the Huawei's network services (telnetd, httpd, sshd, etc) will all become visible on the WAN-side and must be firewalled.

cheers, a
Standard User omnius
(regular) Mon 05-Nov-12 21:59:25
Print Post

yes it was in bridge mode and i apologise for hijacking the thread but it was close to what i wanted (well in my mind it was)

Anyways ive left the firewall on and just to be on the safe side ive changed the default password as well

Edited by omnius (Mon 05-Nov-12 22:08:54)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 06-Nov-12 08:30:05
Print Post

Be aware changing the password does not change the password for telnet access, there is I believe no (easy) way to do that, making firewall on in router mode mandatory.
Standard User xtermy
(regular) Wed 17-Apr-13 16:57:31
Print Post

Can I enable the Huawei HG612 to respond to pings? I'm using it at the moment as a modem/router and can't make my TBB Ping Monitor to work.

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited: BQM ¦ Pingtest ¦ Speedtest ¦ TBB Speedtest
Standard User xtermy
(regular) Wed 17-Apr-13 19:29:26
Print Post

[re: xtermy] [link to this post]

Nevermind, I just had to allow ICMP in the firewall settings smile

Plusnet Fibre Unlimited: BQM ¦ Pingtest ¦ Speedtest ¦ TBB Speedtest
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 20:39:40
Print Post

[re: xtermy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by xtermy:
Nevermind, I just had to allow ICMP in the firewall settings smile

Can you please share how you did this?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:17
Print Post

Create a custom Firewall, the select it. Then click on ACL and add ICMP. You may also wish to add a few other things from the Standard Firewall level...
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:54:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryant704:
Create a custom Firewall, the select it. Then click on ACL and add ICMP. You may also wish to add a few other things from the Standard Firewall level...

Thank you, I got it sorted.

I'm not sure what the other ones are from the standard firewall level, I didn't really look i just jumped straight into creating a new custom level as part of the setup instructions on a wiki page.

At the moment i have HTTP, TELNET & ICMP.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 22:40:30
Print Post

I just had a play... rather expensive play. smile

Was messing about having a bit of fun then I made it so I couldn't access the modem and needed to-do a hard reset. This costing me to go from 25Mbps to 20Mbps frown SNRM down has risen to 10 instead of 4/5 so hopefully it won't be long before the re-sync.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 22:51:54
Print Post

I wouldn't panic... I was playing around yesterday with my SNR to try and get a similar sync speed to what i had with my last modem and i ended up some how messing it up and syncing at 12Mb, from around 22Mb which was the current speed at the time.

I felt sick but luckily it re-sync'ed back to 22Mb. Turned out i was using the wrong values when setting the SNR, I mis-understood the values to input for the desired SNR i wanted.

I use RS-W now which is much easier to set the SNR.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 19-Apr-13 22:54:01
Print Post

I'm not worried, I wish I could set the target SNRM. tongue
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 20-Apr-13 01:31:59
Print Post

Why can't you? Fibre?

@asbokid

You say to use the the 'Standard' firewall level or better.

I used these settings...

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612_...

When i setup the firewall on my HG612.

Is this custom level better or worse or on par with the Standard firewall level?
Standard User jay_uk_80
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 10:26:57
Print Post

Anybody else having trouble actually installing the unlocked firmware.

I have followed the guide from http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/ but can't get my laptop to talk to the 612. The Lan 2 light flashes, the windows network icon does it's stuff, but when the 612 power light stays on the Lan 2 gets disconnected. I have set the laptop to 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.254. I have also tried 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway. Even left it blank to see if it would work with dhcp.

Any help appreciated.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Apr-13 11:00:44
Print Post

[re: jay_uk_80] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jay_uk_80:
I have also tried 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

The default gateway needs to be 192.168.1.1, that should have worked. It might be worth trying ipconfig /release from a command line.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jay_uk_80
(newbie) Sat 20-Apr-13 11:24:07
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by jay_uk_80:
I have also tried 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.

The default gateway needs to be 192.168.1.1, that should have worked. It might be worth trying ipconfig /release from a command line.

/release won't work as it says interface is not in use. It won't even let me get that far.

After holding reset on the 612 the lan2 blinks for about 5 seconds, goes out for one, power light then steady flashes and lan2 shows activity. Windows 7 network connection icon goes through the motions. After about 15 to 20 second the power light stops flashing as stays permantly on, it's at this point that the lan2 switches off. No network interface is ever established. I have tried on two different machines.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 20-Apr-13 11:38:53
Print Post

I created my own firewall level last night and just added ICMP so it can ping WAN. Then copied the rest of the settings over then it just stopped responding and I had 2 do a hard reset to access the modem. I lost 5mbps but this morning at 7am I re-synced at the 25Mbps. Then turned the power off 4 times while the man was fixing the boiler. Now synced up at 26Mbps, rather strange. Seems when the power is turned off the connection doesn't really drop in speed but if you take the DSL and move it into another modem it goes crazy.

I will do some tests on this at some point of course it could just be a coincidence.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 20-Apr-13 11:56:24
Print Post

Just as a thought turn off the wireless on your laptop - I've always done this and never had a problem.

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Sat 03-Aug-13 21:38:56
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hi all,

Anyway. In a nutshell I would like to know how to simply swap out the (pre-supplied) ECI modem for the HG612 (unlocked) which I have successfully unlocked and can login/access the shell and everything in between besides getting it identified in the windows network & settings connection manager. ("unidentifiable") under the connection name..

I am on FTTC with the Static-IP add-on and would like to have wireless functionality in conjunction with the HG612 by using the supplied Technicolor TG582n router..

I have been reading / seen the the kitz wiki for the HG612 (config screen grabs) but is for ADSL2+ connections which I take it is obviously not the same as FTTC/VDSL2 settings. So can some one please enlighten me on the specific settings to get the HG612 (Unlocked) working on PN and also using the TG582n as a router please.

Based on the above requirements:
* Do I need to use it in Routed mode/Bridged mode ?
* Which LAN port do I connect My router into LAN1 or LAN2
* Which device should I use to assign my DHCP IP pool from (HG612/TG582n Router)
* Do I need to assign my static IP address or will PN servers auto-assign it upon connection?
* Can I continue to use OpenDNS for my DNS servers or MUST I use the PN default DNS server?

Has anyone got or done an complete idiots guide to setting the HG612 and Router walk-through based on Plusnets settings? preferably with images, like the one on kitz forum?

What are the settings for the Huawei HG612 - Basic config page:

DSL configuration: --> VDSL2 <--
ATM connection:
- VPI/VCI = 0 / 38 <-- Do I need to set this for VDSL2 (FTTC)
- DSL latency = [path0/path1] < - Which path ?
- DSL Link Type = EoA / PPPoA <<-- ????
- Encapsulation Mode = ?????
- Service Type = UBR without PCR <<---- I have not got a clue ??

Do I need to alter any PTM settings?
Do I need to alter any WAN settings?

LAN Settings:
Also how best to setup my IP segments which ranges to use so I can access the web GUI and also my LAN 192.168.xxx.xxx

- I have one main server and then I use wi-fi to connect the others machines.

I know lots of questions and options and I have not been as clear or concise and possible in my descriptions of my issues but This is why I love this place, everyone sharing knowledge and experiences..

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 03-Aug-13 22:43:59
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

If you want to use it as an unlocked modem just plug it in using LAN1. If you have another connection to LAN2 you will be able to get the stats.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Aug-13 08:43:09
Print Post

Sorry I realise this post is from a few months back but can I just check something. Are you saying with the HG612 in router mode both LAN1 and LAN2 can be used simultaneously to access the internet? I had a plan to do this with LAN1 connected to an Access Point for wifi round the house and LAN2 wired to a PC - but I thought this wasn't possible and only one LAN would work for internet (the other could be used for getting stats only)?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 04-Aug-13 08:49:35
Print Post

That's right, with an unlocked modem you can see it's actually a full featured modem/router - without wireless though. So both LAN1 and LAN2 will work - but 100Mbps ethernet, not gigabit.

Edited by deleted (Sun 04-Aug-13 08:51:39)

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Sun 04-Aug-13 09:25:49
Print Post

So which port LAN1 or LAN2 should be used for the additional router?
Can both ports provide stats on the HG612 or only the LAN2 port (for the stats)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Aug-13 12:37:40
Print Post

Don't forget smile, when unlocked it can be used in two modes.

The default is just as if it wasn't unlocked, except you can connect via Ethernet to LAN 2 to get the stats.

To use it as a router you have to change it from bridge mode to router mode, via the GUI. Once you have done that, as BatBoy (who was the first I know of to do it) has explained then both LAN ports can be used for anything.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Sun 04-Aug-13 16:33:02
Print Post

ahh, I see. cheers for that.. will get back with update of how I got on then.. smile

Standard User majika2007
(member) Wed 07-Aug-13 09:57:06
Print Post

I managed to Sort it out smile I got HG612 and TG582n AP working..

Now I have to figure out all the settings.. time to read the help/manual I think !

Need help with the QoS/Classification settings and also how to find out which hardware is in the cabinet i'm connecting to I read somewhere that you can identify this type of info from the xdslcmd stats for that specific info..

Anyone got any ideas..

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-13 19:08:28
Print Post

Post the xdslcmd info --stats
and
xdslcmd info --pbParams

outputs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User majika2007
(member) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:14:46
Print Post

@RobertoS here are the stats info..

Text
# xdslcmd info --stats   
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 0Max:    Upstream rate = 29327 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70484 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70281 Kbps 
Link Power State:       L0Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17aTPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ONLine Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        6.1             12.2Attn(dB):        0.0             0.0
Pwr(dBm):        12.8            6.3                        VDSL2 framing
                        Path 0B:              239             236
M:              1               1T:              21              5
R:              0               16S:              0.1087          0.3771
L:              17667           5410D:              1               1
I:              240             255N:              240             255
                        Counters                        Path 0
OHF:            46411328                2054630OHFErr:         2784            13
RS:             0               3495099RSCorr:         0               91
RSUnCorr:       0               0 
                        Path 0HEC:            5148            0
OCD:            0               0LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    2184073708              0Data Cells:     211605101               0
Drop Cells:     0Bit Errors:     0               0
 ES:             718             12
SES:            5               0UAS:            48              48
AS:             79694 
                        Path 0INP:            0.00            0.00
PER:            1.71            6.12delay:          0.00            0.00
OR:             112.17          203.67 
Bitswap:        14844           9 
Total time = 22 hours 12 min 20 secFEC:            0               0
CRC:            2785            0ES:             718             12
LOS:            0               0LOF:            0               0
Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 20 secFEC:            0               0
CRC:            208             0ES:             9               0
SES:            0               0UAS:            0               0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 secFEC:            0               0
CRC:            14              0ES:             9               1
Latest 1 day time = 22 hours 12 min 20 secFEC:            0               0
CRC:            2785            0ES:             718             12
Previous 1 day time = 0 secFEC:            0               0
CRC:            0               0ES:             0               0
Since Link time = 22 hours 8 min 13 secFEC:            0               91
CRC:            2784            13ES:             717             12
SES:            5               0UAS:            0               0
#

Text
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 0Max:    Upstream rate = 29341 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70484 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 70281 Kbps 
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band PlanUS: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771) 
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083) Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771) DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083) 
              VDSL Port Details       Upstream        DownstreamAttainable Net Data Rate:      29341 kbps         70484 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        6.3 dBm          12.8 dBm============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1          U2             U3           D1          D2            D3  Line Attenuation(dB):  2.6     22.3    37.9     N/A    14.4    33.0    51.0   
Signal Attenuation(dB):  2.6     22.2    37.8     N/A    14.4    33.0    51.0           SNR Margin(dB):  9.9     11.8            12.4     N/A    5.9     6.1     6.2    
         TX Power(dBm): -4.7    -16.3    5.8      N/A    9.9     7.3     6.1    #

Edited by majika2007 (Wed 07-Aug-13 22:15:38)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-13 22:34:14
Print Post

Excellent connection speed smile.

I can't help you myself on working out the cabinet kit from that, but the pbParams are there now and the guys who know their stuff on this won't have to ask you for them and then wait. I think it's the band plans that are different.

Standard User majika2007
(member) Wed 07-Aug-13 23:03:28
Print Post

Yeah, I have been spending some time reading over some info on kitz about the xdslcmd for trying to work out what some of these results mean. If I am comparing my stat's results with the stats of the person who compiled the information mine look pretty good from my very limited knowledge.

Anyway, I am chipping away at this *Unlocked* HG612 box and I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying myself; I know, it sounds pretty sad, lol..

One thing I have managed to figure out are the meanings of the following:
B: Number of bytes in Mux Data Frame.
M: Number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame.
T: Mux Data Frames over sync bytes.
R: Number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame.
S: Ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length.
L: Number of bits in PMD Data Frame.
D; Interleave depth (1=fast path).

I have also noticed that my max upstream can reach 29324 Kbps, however, its capped to 20000 Kbps. Out of that capped upstream rate its only actually hitting 88.2% / 17640 kbps (approx).
Could this be something which can be altered/lifted/increased to reach somewhere closer to the actual max attainable upload rate? something close to the 30Mbps mark (88.2% of 29324 Kbps = 25864 kbps) ??

Standard User majika2007
(member) Wed 07-Aug-13 23:09:51
Print Post

Also I have noticed that since I installed the HG612 from the ECI modem I have had a slight drop in downstream rates of about 4-5Mbps from the 68Mbps mark down to the 64Mbps mark although my upstream has also dropped slightly but not by as much.. could I have triggered DLM in the process of the swapping/configuration of the HG612. I did do one soft disconnect from Router and one hard rest on the modem (HG612) during the install process..

Will my original speeds return, unsure exactly how DLM works or how it is applied on VDSL2/FTTC connections.

Any thoughts?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Aug-13 23:26:28
Print Post

I think it is quite common for the sync speed to change when you swap modems. In either direction. It isn't DLM getting upset.

Again, the guys who know the band plans will analyse what yours are like. There are four or five of them around, several in every day.

Standard User majika2007
(member) Thu 08-Aug-13 00:16:36
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG612 working as a router TR69 Interface groups

hi RobertoS, yes I'm sure someone will get back to me on about my band plan stats in the morning.. smile

Any Advise on how to mimic the Interface groups from the Plusnet TG582n router settings and map it over onto the HG612..

I have broken my BQM and I can't seem to find much info on how to configure the HG612 to have my own interface groups and subnets just like in the Plusnet Router.

IP Addresses
10.0.0.138/24 (static)
192.168.1.254/24 (Static)
192.168.1.252 (Content Sharing)

DHCP Pools________Address Range __________ Gateway
LAN_private 192.168.1.65 - 192.168.1.252 --- 192.168.0.1 <- HG612 modem
LAN_VIRT 192.168.1.253 - 192.168.1.253 ---- 192.168.1.245 <- TG582n Router

What would happen if I enabled the TR069 on the HG612 and then I can turn it back off again?
Would this update the HG612 with the original plusnet settings which were on the Technicolor TG582n Router

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 08-Aug-13 07:12:39
Print Post

Yep.

This confirms it's an ECI DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)

This is the band plan for a Huawei DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Standard User majika2007
(member) Thu 08-Aug-13 09:36:27
Print Post

Cherers for that Bald_Eagle1..

So, the obvious question would be should I put the ECI modem back to get better speeds and attempt to unlock that one instead?

Also, will the HG612 modem be more/less stable on this DSLAM.

BTW, is anyone working on a softmod to unlock the ECI kind of like the HG612 firmware update route? I have read the guides for the ECI and requires certain components/soildering. just wondering if anyway to do it via firware update..
Thanks !

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 08-Aug-13 13:04:14
Print Post

The ECI is apparently much harder to unlock & logging/graphing software isn't yet as comprehensively developed as for the HG612.

We believe the HG612 can be a shade more reactive to errors, causing DLM to apply interleaving & thus lowering Sync speed sooner than an ECI would, but the ease of monitoring generally outweighs any perceived slight performance hit.

Some users actually report improved performance when connecting a HG612 to an ECI DSLAM.

So, on balance, there probably isn't much to choose between them.

From what I have read the only way to unlock the ECI is & will remain to be the hardware route.
Standard User majika2007
(member) Thu 08-Aug-13 14:23:12
Print Post

Thanks for your feedback Bald_eagle1,

On a side note, the stats I provided above are you able to determine the following questions for me please:

- How meters away is the cabinet from my home (approx)
- Do you think there is any room for improvement by the ISP to be able to increase or boost my line speeds at all, like move me over onto the 120/20Mbps packages?
- Will I be able to get 30a profile (vectoring) if/when it becomes available and if so will I see any improvements on line speeds.
- Can you make any conclusions regarding my line quality/Signal performance (am my stats showing signs of/or experiencing any cross-talk)
Thanks

EDIT:
Do you know where I can find info on how to properly configure the HG612 settings like the official WBC FTTC platform service settings, the settings which BT use to configure their network/customer VDSL2 connections ?

Edited by majika2007 (Thu 08-Aug-13 14:26:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 16:34:26
Print Post

Username and password. (That's for Infinity, no Plusnet).

With your Plusnet 582n you got a booklet. That tells you the connection username, and what the password is. The VDSL2 parameters are unchanged.

Vectoring will be applied to 17a. 17a + vectoring is not 30a.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 08-Aug-13 19:13:55)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 08-Aug-13 17:44:20
Print Post

Will that work on Plusnet?

I think the only difference between a locked HG612 and an unlocked one is the firewall setting.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Aug-13 19:10:06
Print Post

Oops!

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 08-Aug-13 19:41:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by majika2007:
Thanks for your feedback Bald_eagle1,

On a side note, the stats I provided above are you able to determine the following questions for me please:

- How meters away is the cabinet from my home (approx)

Pure guess - 400m

- Do you think there is any room for improvement by the ISP to be able to increase or boost my line speeds at all, like move me over onto the 120/20Mbps packages?

Are they some form of FTTP/FTTDP/FTTPoD?
If so, speed should be more or less guaranteed � but probably expensive to install?
At the moment, your connection seems to be maxing the line's current FTTC capabilities.

- Will I be able to get 30a profile (vectoring) if/when it becomes available and if so will I see any improvements on line speeds.

Vectoring doesn�t need the 30a profile.
30a can supposedly provide up to 100Mbps downstream sync speed, but only for very short connections.

Vectoring is intended to eliminate crosstalk for all connections � possibly providing around 40 Mbps for even 1000m connections

- Can you make any conclusions regarding my line quality/Signal performance (am my stats showing signs of/or experiencing any cross-talk)
Thanks

You would need to provide a lot more data i.e. Hlog, QLN, SNR, Bits.
You could use a logging/graphing program such as HG612 Modem Stats 1.1

That does it all for you & graphs the data.

QLN is the graph that generally depicts base �noise� levels.
If it worsens over time (i.e. as more users are connected) it gives SOME indication of likely increases in crosstalk.

EDIT:
Do you know where I can find info on how to properly configure the HG612 settings like the official WBC FTTC platform service settings, the settings which BT use to configure their network/customer VDSL2 connections ?

The HG612�s default settings should be correct as that�s how the modems are supplied at installation.
Simply unlocking it doesn�t alter anything apart from change the firewall level to allow us access to the modems �secrets�.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 09-Aug-13 04:11:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:

Are they some form of FTTP/FTTDP/FTTPoD?
If so, speed should be more or less guaranteed � but probably expensive to install?
At the moment, your connection seems to be maxing the line's current FTTC capabilities.

No, those are what some speculate to be the "next step" in FTTC upgrades, similar to the 40 => 80 upgrade. Presumably to become available when Openreach enable 30a. The FTTP options IIRC are 80/160/300. Personally I expect it to be more like 160/40.

Vectoring doesn�t need the 30a profile.
30a can supposedly provide up to 100Mbps downstream sync speed, but only for very short connections.

30a can provide over 400Mbps downstream sync (lab conditions), 17a already provides 140Mbps on "very short connections" in actual deployments, 30a can easily deliver over 200. My line, which behaves like a ~300m line can do 110Mbps on 17a without crosstalk, with crosstalk that drops to ~80. Didn't they say the majority of urban FTTC lines are <300m to the cab?

QLN is the graph that generally depicts base �noise� levels.
If it worsens over time (i.e. as more users are connected) it gives SOME indication of likely increases in crosstalk.

Best way to measure effects of crosstalk is to wait till everyone else gets disconnected (i.e. during a power cut) smile

Mind you, I don't know if this is still the case but last time I used the HG612 as a router the CPU was too slow to hit full speed on a decent FTTC line and limit you to about 60Mbps, that's with all QoS, firewall, and other frills turned off. Hence I wouldn't recommend it.
Standard User majika2007
(member) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:02:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
With your Plusnet 582n you got a booklet. That tells you the connection username, and what the password is. The VDSL2 parameters are unchanged.

Irrespective of whether the VDSL2 parameters have changed or remain unchanged I still would like to know about what each one of the HG612 parameters/config settings work and can be configured to operate within my environment.

Considering I now have the ability to now better understand this tech. by using an unlocked modem/router this is the whole point is to see how things "tick".

I am only using the TG582n as my wireless AP on LAN1 port. with all due respect I know how to read a book/manual (supplied or not) my question was aimed more towards the way I can setup the HG612 + TG582n to work better together. The additional settings (now available) in the HG612 is what is causing the stumbling block to figuring my setup out and how to better understand how best to set my network up.

Will that work on Plusnet?

I think the only difference between a locked HG612 and an unlocked one is the firewall setting.

This is something I need to know more about.. How to harden the FW rule set for the HG612.
Also Static or Dynamic Routing should I need to do this for my loopback..
IGMP Snooping..

Pure guess - 400m

Good guess, If i'm correct then the cabinet I must then be connecting from is about 500m away give or take a few meters.. The image graphs are below see if you can disseminate any other information

Here are the HG612 Modem Stats 1.1 Image Graphs:

Bit Loading
Line Stats L Graphs
Line Stats P Graphs
QLN Stats

The HG612�s default settings should be correct as that�s how the modems are supplied at installation.
Simply unlocking it doesn�t alter anything apart from change the --> firewall level <-- to allow us access to the modems �secrets�.

OK, that's good to know, and this is my main point Can I now lock those firewall holes back down as I have managed to unlocked the HG612 and still continue to get the stats?

Can I just change it back to the "BT Level" or "Standard Level" or would you guys reccomend I make a new "custom" security level.

Best way to measure effects of crosstalk is to wait till everyone else gets disconnected (i.e. during a power cut)

So how does one go about creating a town-wide power cut.. Just kidding smile

Again thanks for all your expert knowledge and info..

smile

Edited by majika2007 (Fri 09-Aug-13 12:05:00)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 09-Aug-13 17:48:40
Print Post

Heh, I was lucky enough to get one soon after I got my UPS, but as for creating one yourself, I'm sure there's some law that prevents me telling you tongue
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Aug-13 22:35:47
Print Post

Best way to measure effects of crosstalk is to wait till everyone else gets disconnected (i.e. during a power cut)

smile
Ask some builders with a JCB, they recently took a power cable out in a town near us, and they still have generators on the street.

Standard User majika2007
(member) Sat 10-Aug-13 12:39:25
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I think this may do it watch here ...

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 15-Sep-13 10:25:41
Print Post

Hi. I have BT Infinity with the HG612 and a HH3. BT sent me the HH3 as the HH2 I have won't support BT Sport (multicasting issues I presume). BUT if I take out my HH2 I lose by Broadband Talk line as the HH3 doesn't have the built in DECT chipset or physical phone line pass through.
I'm wondering if unlock and reconfigure the HG612, could I enable the 2nd lan port and plug my HH2 into that and have both hubs working at the same time? I presume in bridged mode it won't like 2 hubs trying to connect using PPP at the same time. If I put it in router mode will either home hub manage to talk to it at all (they will be expecting to talk PPP I guess). Both the BB Talk service on the HH2 and the sport multicasting on the HH3 expect to get that traffic in on the WAN port only so not sure if there is anyway of configuring this with those 3 boxes alone?
Any thoughts?
ta
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 15-Sep-13 11:04:17
Print Post

It can be done I think, but I don't think that way will work. It can be done like this, but maybe not with the HH2 http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubbt.html
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 16-Sep-13 23:23:20
Print Post

thanks. I think I've got an old HH1 in the loft so could possibly try that approach - however none of the links to the required 6226 firmware for that old hub seem to work anymore - BT appear to have removed all traces of it so might not be able to get the HH1 into the correct state.
Thats said though the article did reveal how to retrieve the SIP config details for my BB Talk line. I do have an old Draytek DSL DSL router with VOIP phone ports on it so if I can persuade it to route SIP out of one of it's LAN ports instead of it's modem I might be able to get my wired phone BB talk line up again that way (I don't care about the DECT facilities in the home hub - just use the BB Talk line as a fixed 2nd line in my home office)
Also I can now tell my wife that there was a reason to keep all that "old electronic junk" instead of throwing it out smile
Can't help but think there must be a neater solution involving fewer boxes to get me BB Talk and not lose my BT sport multicast channels - with or without the Openreach modem still in the picture - probably a decent third party cable router that supports VOIP lines and routes multicast the way BT likes it plugged into the OR modem in router rather than bridge mode as per this thread...
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 14:15:27
Print Post

Hey there I tried to use these settings but my modem says PPPoE status Obtaining the IP address failed. Can you please maybe point me in the right direction? I'm supposed to have a static IP from my ISP but I can't see where to actually put this in?

Thanks so much in advance.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Mar-14 16:45:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by SnoopMarky:
I'm supposed to have a static IP from my ISP but I can't see where to actually put this in?

Why would you need to "put it in"? It is an external IP address assigned to you by your ISP. You should not need to tell your router or modem about it. It has nothing to do with internal IP addresses assigned manually or by DHCP.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 70000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 16:58:26
Print Post

In Basic ¦ WAN, select connection type of Static and you will be able to put in the IP Address, subnet, dns and gateway.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:23:29
Print Post

Yeah I get that but i'm confused as it's simply not getting it, or I think so.

The messages i'm getting on the diagnose page are:
DSL Status The DSL is connected.

PPPoE status Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE failed.

Network Status Diagnosis is completed.
???

My settings are as follows (i'm on vdsl2):

VPI/VCI: 0 38
DSL Latency Path0 selected
DSL Link type: EoA
Encapsulation: VCMUX
Service: UBY Without PCR

PTM
DSL Latency Path0 selected
PTM priority normal selected

Layer2 interface: atm1/(0_0_38)
WAN connection: Enabled
Service list: INTERNET
Port binding: NONE selected
Connection mode: Route
Connection type: PPPoE
WAN 802.1q: Disabled
WAN 802.1p: Disabled
LAN 802.1q: Disabled
LAN 802.1p: Disabled
NAT: Enable
User name: Entered Password: Entered
DHCP spoofing: Disabled
Authentication mode: Auto
Dialing method: Auto
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:27:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by SnoopMarky:
Connection type: PPPoE
I meant set that to "Static"
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:39:46
Print Post

but then where do i enter my username and pasword that my isp gave me?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:42:26
Print Post

Which ISP are you with?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:55:57
Print Post

Which ISP are you with?

I'm with Manx Telecom and they require a username and password (that I have entered), do those settings above look good to go? It's just odd as I'm getting that IP error? I'm stumped - thanks for everyone help so far though.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 19:02:58
Print Post

There was some other poster here on Manx Telecom. I think he got it working by using the ATM entries rather than PTM.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 19:11:09
Print Post

There was some other poster here on Manx Telecom. I think he got it working by using the ATM entries rather than PTM.

Can't find any ref by searching frown
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 21-Mar-14 19:17:59
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4296024-mod...
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 20:28:28
Print Post

Guys i have a HG612 and am on Sky Fibre, the HG612 is unlocked and flashed with the latest CFW. Will this method in this thread work on Sky Fibre as the SR-102 is just [censored].
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 20:42:08
Print Post

That could be tricky as you need to present the username and password in DHCP option 61. I think I remember that you need to run a command-line thing to do that on every resync. It's a lot easier to leave the HG612 as a modem and get a better router that understands Sky MER.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 20:54:44
Print Post

That could be tricky as you need to present the username and password in DHCP option 61. I think I remember that you need to run a command-line thing to do that on every resync. It's a lot easier to leave the HG612 as a modem and get a better router that understands Sky MER.

I did have a ASUS RT-AC68U but it kept on interleaving and never went to fastpath so i returned it to the shop. I now have a Netduma currently running from the SR-102 but was wanting to get rid of the hub.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 21:03:01
Print Post

So you had an Asus running with the modem, so you know the username and password for your Sky connection?

Does this Netduma support a DHCP connection too? I've never heard of this router. Does anyone have one working on Sky?

Ok, just read about this in the Netduma forum. Sound like a bunch of no-hopers.

Edited by deleted (Mon 22-Feb-16 21:13:49)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 21:21:08
Print Post

Ok, it can be done
I am currently using an unlocked HG612 in place of my Sky SR102 to access Sky Fibre

I can kill the dhcpc process and add my Sky username and password by the following command:

dhcpc -i ptm1.101 -I ptm1.101 -c �your-mac-address@skydsl|your-password�

which gains me access just fine, but won't survive a reboot / power failure.

Does anyone know a way that I can permanently add the client identifier ? :fingers:
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:11:38
Print Post

Ok, it can be done
I am currently using an unlocked HG612 in place of my Sky SR102 to access Sky Fibre

I can kill the dhcpc process and add my Sky username and password by the following command:

dhcpc -i ptm1.101 -I ptm1.101 -c �your-mac-address@skydsl|your-password�

which gains me access just fine, but won't survive a reboot / power failure.

Does anyone know a way that I can permanently add the client identifier ? :fingers:

Yes i know my Username and Password, but am not clued up in this field smile. Is there a guide or tutorial to do as in the thread you mention above.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 22:31:48
Print Post

Errr no.

There are some steps but it's easier as you know your username and password.

1. You'll have to set up your HG612 as a router (or a half-bridge). This will allow you to enter your username and password into the HG612 using DHCP as previously described.

2. This will allow the HG612 to pass the internet connection to your router(?)

3. You'll have to connect your router(?) to the HG612 and get an internet connection on it. Dunno how to do that.

4. You will then have to live with running the DHCPC command manually upon a resync or figuring out a way to do it automatically using DSLStats or something.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 22-Feb-16 23:00:12
Print Post

Errr no.

There are some steps but it's easier as you know your username and password.

1. You'll have to set up your HG612 as a router (or a half-bridge). This will allow you to enter your username and password into the HG612 using DHCP as previously described.

2. This will allow the HG612 to pass the internet connection to your router(?)

3. You'll have to connect your router(?) to the HG612 and get an internet connection on it. Dunno how to do that.

4. You will then have to live with running the DHCPC command manually upon a resync or figuring out a way to do it automatically using DSLStats or something.

Thanx for the info, think i wll just leave it for the being as i get resync around 2am most nights so its to much hassle.
Standard User nemeth782
(member) Tue 23-Feb-16 14:25:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by RADDY1993:
I did have a ASUS RT-AC68U but it kept on interleaving and never went to fastpath so i returned it to the shop. I now have a Netduma currently running from the SR-102 but was wanting to get rid of the hub.

As the Asus router was not doing the VDSL bit (it doesn't have an inbuilt modem, only an ethernet WAN) it was not responsible for the interleaving on your line.

I'm not actually sure that interleaving is even a function of the modem you used as it should be controlled by DLM (I assume you were using the HG612 as a modem?) but in any case, using the HG612 as a modem and router won't yield you better results.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to