User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Fri 27-Nov-20 04:25:15
Print Post

CF/VF Live

[link to this post]

How long does it normally take from cityfibre digging up the path outside you’re home to the service going live, works finished outside my house about a month ago but keep checking the vodafone website and nothing at the minute, is this checker reliable?. Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Nov-20 10:16:43
Print Post

Re: CF/VF Live

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Have head of six months in some cases, i.e. depends on the order work is done, i.e. digging the streets may be the first part in a long chain of work.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flilot
(member) Fri 27-Nov-20 13:25:29
Print Post

It was around 5 or 6 months in our area, IIRC.
We had a Vodafone Gigafast leaflet through the door advising us it was available to order once the network was live.

Carl

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 28-Nov-20 02:05:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I’ve heard it can also be a month from works finishing too from things I’ve read on the internet after asking the question here, so hopefully it’s not that long.
Standard User JennyCide
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-20 13:01:24
Print Post

I spoke to someone in CF recently and was told that these days it usually takes 6-8 weeks from city fibre finishing the cable work to being able to sign up with whichever ISP they supply to in your area although it used to take a lot longer.
Register on CityFibre Residential website and the automated system there should send you updates as it moves through the process.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 06:48:48
Print Post

[re: JennyCide] [link to this post]

That’s not bad 6-8 weeks to be fair, and I will register on that site but I’m regularly checking on the vodafone website anyways and the talktalk one as I am guessing they will be the isps supplying the service at the moment until other ones sign up to use cityfibre cables, unless I’m wrong with that, from what I have read it’s just them two or is there more, or does it come down to the area you are in?.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sun 29-Nov-20 06:50:55)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Mon 30-Nov-20 01:50:52
Print Post

Don't rush for Vodafone on CityFibre, I'd personally say wait for Zen on CityFibre to go live in your area!
Standard User JennyCide
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-20 11:31:03
Print Post

The ISPs available on cityfibre depend on your area. Basically they sign a deal with one company for a period of exclusivity and then open it up once that period is over so when they go into a new area there's usually only a single choice of ISP for about a year (could be Sky, vodafone, Talk Talk, Zen etc) and then the rest can sell it once the exclusivity deal expires. The deals are definitely done on a deal by deal basis so will be different depending on where you are which is why I suggested signing up on the cityfibre page - it 'should' give you updates regardless of the ISP.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Dec-20 15:34:35
Print Post

My whole area is done and all the streets around me are ready to order... but my street, the next one over and then down one side of the main road can not order so.. its anyone guess

Virgin Media
Connection Speed: DL: 575Mbps UL: 38.5Mbps
Speed test: 550Mbps DL
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sun 06-Dec-20 16:03:04
Print Post

Dont bank on any emails or leaflets/door to door as I had nothing. It was just relentless checking of their website that I found out.
I had registered etc - I got a phone call about 4 weeks after I had it installed!
Watch out for fairly anonymous white vans with cables out the back, usually where they put their man hole covers as this is them connecting things up.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 20-Dec-20 02:31:59
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

It seems the company laying the cables for cityfibre where I am has gone into administration now so the network build for them has stalled, there was a news article in the paper with cityfibre saying they are gonna look for an alternative company to complete the build after new year, my area has been done so not sure if it will delay my area being activated, it’s been about 2 months now and the websites still say I can’t get it.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sun 20-Dec-20 02:33:21)

Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Dec-20 16:48:53
Print Post

Some time in the last week my street can now order. Yay. But I cant go with VF so i am going to have to wait until CF allow other providers in.

Hopefully you wont have to wait to long.

Have they blown the fibre in yet?

Virgin Media
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 11-Jan-21 17:46:12
Print Post

It seems cityfibre still isn’t available in my area even though the cables got put down months ago, just a question does the whole of the town need to be completed before they activate or do they activate area by area as I’ve heard the contractors have gone into administration so cityfibre are looking for another company to complete the network in the town, just wondering if this would delay things or not, if they activate area by area as they lay cables hopefully it shouldn’t.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Jan-21 13:27:07
Print Post

Tends to appear in blocks, which makes sense given how GPON FTTP is built

If in a City where no one can order, then sometimes they wait until a decent size is available to do a big launch.

Lockdown rules may play a part too, i.e. keeping contact between installers and customers to an absolute minimum

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Jan-21 16:37:25
Print Post

I noticed here in Peterborough the install dates for CF are quite late.

Early March is currently the soonest they can install. 6-7 weeks wait. Not that I have ordered mind just looking.

Virgin Media
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 16-Jan-21 18:44:38
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

It’s still saying we can’t get it even though cables were put down months ago so still waiting for that to happen, I’m guessing the best places to look to see if it’s activated yet are the voda and talktalk websites which are normally the 2 that use cityfibre to start with.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 16-Jan-21 18:45:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jan-21 10:33:53
Print Post

TalkTalk and Vodafone sell in separate areas at this time, and some CityFibre areas are purely Braw Band or Zen Internet as sellers at present.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 04:27:31
Print Post

I’m totally in the dark with when they are gonna go live I have come to the fact that’s it’s just gonna be a matter of waiting and seeing if anything comes through the door, I think it’s pretty poor communication though, just to rock up 6 months ago lay cables cause a disturbance for myself as they totally blocked the back entrance off to my premises, and to leave and hear nothing about a go live date even this long on I think is poor from them.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Wed 20-Jan-21 12:22:04
Print Post

Have they put up little cabinets for your streets, if so, see if they have a code number stenciled on the front, this usually means they have been connected up, ours went live literally few weeks after this was done.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 18:40:46
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

I can’t see any cabinets unless I’m not noticing them, how long was it after cables were laid did yours go live, we had cables installed literally September time I think it was, maybe earlier, it’s crazy as virgin media are laying cables right now around the town and literally a month later that went live, but cityfibre seems to be taking a age and when I ask them they don’t seem to have a clue when it’s going live either, just would of thought I would of got some communication from them but absolutely nothing.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Wed 20-Jan-21 18:53:32
Print Post

If memory serves me right, they started roughly about Feb 2020 at the entrance to our estate, then lockdown happened and things did stop for quite a few weeks but not the whole of lockdown, they started again and finished things off and connected things up, it wasnt until Aug 1st that I could order.
I had been keeping an eye on streets order availability using postcodes and think we missed a release of streets because we were the other side of a main road, that itself meant a 3 month wait until we were released for order along with a further chunk of streets, some of which must have only waited a few weeks as far as I could tell.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 21-Jan-21 02:51:27
Print Post

Thanks for the reply, so it seems you waited about 6 months before you could order then, I’m not sure if it’s a case that cityfibre need to complete the whole network here before they can activate roads already done or can they activate as soon as cables have been laid even though the whole town network isn’t completed yet, I’m guessing it’s the former of the two cause otherwise it would just take ages as some builds can take over a year to complete, I just wish it would be as swift as virgin media have been, there also building a network in my town right now and my sister has cables laid by them and literally a month later could order services, I’ll try and get a bunch of postcodes together from around the town and see if there is anywhere that is live yet with cityfibre, maybe that will give me hope they haven’t forgotten about us, what services are live then when they do eventually allow to order, as I see Zen are part of the isps now and would be looking at ordering that when cityfibre do go live here, or is it certain isps in certain areas, I’m not really interested in talktalk or voda really as have heard a few bad things about there services, I just think wouldn’t be awesome if you can ring and they say yep Mr so and so we’re be active on you’re road on this date instead of all this blind in the dark business.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 16-Mar-21 14:43:37
Print Post

Just updating that CF still isn’t available in my area, personally think this is a ridiculous time frame to have to wait for a new technology. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by tomxlisa (Tue 16-Mar-21 14:46:39)

Standard User SL1210
(newbie) Thu 18-Mar-21 19:37:03
Print Post

My area of Northampton (St James NN5) became available to order today, work in the local area started Sep 2020, there was some further activity last month (looked like they were testing). So 6 to 7 months for me which seems normal reading these threads. Vodafone showing install lead times of 2 to 3 weeks.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Thu 18-Mar-21 20:33:42
Print Post

[re: SL1210] [link to this post]

Interested what you think about the new Vodafone Pro packages - all I see is that they are damn expensive and provide stuff I wouldnt need, be interesting if they can offer the original packages without all this fluff.
Standard User SL1210
(newbie) Thu 18-Mar-21 20:57:17
Print Post

Rolandrat: I'm most upset about this, a month ago you could get the 900/900 service for £48pm I think, but I couldn't order until today, so now I'm going to be paying £60pm and I won't be using their 'super' wifi hub anyway.

The 4G backup dongle sounds ok, if it's ethernet based maybe it would work in the second wan port of a USG... I presume not though.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Thu 18-Mar-21 21:01:49
Print Post

Totally agree with you, hopefully when mine is due for renewal i can keep similar price to now (less hopefully) or more ISP's will come on board for a bit of competition.
I'd ring and moan or haggle if I were you, but then I never did, mine came up right in the middle of about a month when they stuck at £55. Its was £38 or less I think at times.

Edited by Rolandrat (Thu 18-Mar-21 21:04:00)

Standard User SL1210
(newbie) Thu 18-Mar-21 21:22:19
Print Post

I tried for discount but no joy...

In two years there will be more choice for sure, OR fttp isn't available for me at the moment but should be by then, perhaps even Virgin's Gig1 might be an option by then.
Standard User Rolandrat
(experienced) Thu 18-Mar-21 21:27:09
Print Post

Yes OR are working their way around town in CF's footsteps, they got in first here in Wootton, then CF came along few months later. I took both £105 a month on Internet! I waited 10 years for > 4Mb adsl so I dont mind, I need a backup as I WFH full time (even before covid) but I'll knock OR connection back to cheapest possible when that renews.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 23-Mar-21 04:02:31
Print Post

I have read today on a local newspapers website that works to complete the town I’m in are gonna start back up soon as new contractors have been appointed, cables have been down outside my place since summer 2020, I’ve even got the little cityfibre square thing outside near my front gate, my question is will I have to wait until works are complete in the town which are estimated to be June 2022, as I’ve checked all the checkers and none of them say I can order it still, it did say on the newspaper article that air broadband was launching in my area on the cityfibre services in the coming weeks so surely I’ll be able to order it, I mean what’s the point of launching now but can’t order until works are complete in 2022, this just seems to be taking ages from them laying the cables, you would think you’d be able to order a month after the cables being laid outside the home. 🤦‍♂️
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Wed 14-Apr-21 05:08:54
Print Post

Still can’t order anything in my area despite cityfibre cables being down since summer 2020, ridiculous I may add.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 08-May-21 23:12:51
Print Post

Re: Update:

Update:

Still can’t order anything almost a year on from cables being laid. Bonkers.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 08-May-21 23:16:22)

Standard User amiga_dude
(regular) Sun 09-May-21 08:45:25
Print Post

This are 4 main status you get if your in a Cityfibre build area. Which one are you on? (It takes it time giving you a answer)
https://www.cityfibre.com/

1)
We are currently planning the build programme in your area.
To be the first to know when we are coming to your street and when you can access full fibre broadband, please register for updates.

2)
Thanks for your interest. We are building full fibre in your area. It looks like we don't have permission to install fibre in your flat from the landlord yet, but register for updates with us and we'll let you know when we can install the network in your building.

3)
We are building our full fibre network in your area.
To be the first to know when you can access full fibre broadband, please register with us for updates.

4)
Great news, our full fibre network is available on your street!
Check out which broadband providers you can take a service from and find out more about pricing and packages on their website.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 09-May-21 13:32:18
Print Post

[re: amiga_dude] [link to this post]

It says the first one for me when I put my postcode in the checker.
Standard User amiga_dude
(regular) Sun 09-May-21 16:08:33
Print Post

I am in same boat as you. There where working in my street just before Lockdown 1, then left and never came back. Last week it was showing option 1. Today giving me option 2. So tomorrow I will be writing a nice e-mail to my landlord see if I can get them to agree.

Try and find out who is charge of rollout in you area CityFibre use job title of City Manager. go to google and search
who is cityfibre city manager "your town"

The only thing I could suggest is to message them on there consumer account at Twitter / Facebook.

https://twitter.com/CityFibre
https://www.facebook.com/CityFibre/

PS they do also have Wholesale account.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 09-May-21 18:21:17
Print Post

[re: amiga_dude] [link to this post]

There was some lads outside the other day with some thing rolling it on the floor I went out and spoke to them, they said all the tubing is down, I have a thing outside my house that says cityfibre on it I’m guessing that’s the thing they connect to from my house through the garden and there is also a cabinet over the road from me that is cityfibre too, they said they are checking all the works as they have taken over from the last company that went into administration, I already know which isp is launching in my area and I’ve spoken to them on the phone and they can’t understand why it’s taking so long but they did say it shouldn’t be long before I can order, but I’ve heard this before, all I’m ever told is to register my interests and I’ll find out when I can order, but the time it’s taking is crazy, a year later and still can’t order services, madness.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sun 09-May-21 18:22:30)

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-May-21 10:07:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
I already know which isp is launching in my area and I’ve spoken to them on the phone and they can’t understand why it’s taking so long

The answer is in your post.
The last contractor went in to Administration.

If the previous contractor was Lite Access UK, then they screwed their staff and CityFibre over good and proper.

It has taken CityFibre some time to sort out legal issues and appoint a new contractor in their place.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 10-May-21 23:59:25
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yeah it was them but they had already done my street and then a few months later went into administration, but yeah I know that couldn’t of helped the situation, just hope it isn’t long now before things can go live for me, here’s hoping.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to